Saturday 5 October 2013

New Nokia ad says Samsung wants to copy Lumia 1020

You, I am sure, will be
excited to see parachutists.
I don't want to keep you
from this joy. There are lots
of wonderful flying people in
this ad. Just as there were in
a certain Google Glass, um,
skydiving stunt.
This is all allegedly shot on a
Nokia Lumia 1020 which, I
believe, is another great
Nokia camera with a nice
phone attached.
And there's nothing wrong
with that.
I am, however, disturbed by
the ending of this piece. For
after the descent of the flyers
carrying the new phone to
Dubai (en route to its
destination at the Nokia
World event on October 22 in
Abu Dhabi), there is a
strange coda.
Here we have a man of
apparently Asian origin sitting
in the back of an SUV,
looking mysterious.
He is outside what appears
to be the exhibition hall. His
intentions do not appear to
be entirely honorable.
Though I believe the objective
interpretation of art to be
entirely meaningless, I asked
some relatively intelligent
people what they thought
this ending might mean.
Here is one response that
was repeated several times:
"That's Samsung, ready to
steal it and copy it."
I wouldn't wish to besmirch
Samsung's reputation, until
Judge Lucy Koh has offered
her definitive judgment on
whether the company is,
truly, a duplicator or not.
Besides, not everyone
thought this gentleman might
be from Samsung. One
intelligent being told me:
"There's a gong at the end.
So that must be Huawei." (I
can only assume that this
being felt the gong sounded
more Chinese than Korean.)
Is it truly possible that Nokia
would depict Samsung or
Huawei as nefarious? After
all, at CES 2013, Huawei had
a rather heavy presence of
security heavies , allegedly
there to protect its own
intellectual property.
I refuse to leap from the
fence. So, perched on its
splinters, I contacted Nokia
to ask whether this was,
indeed, the rough meaning of
the coda: that an Asian
competitor was there, ready
to steal and copy this very
fine phone.
Should I hear from Nokia, I
will copy you on my reply.
In the meantime, perhaps
there are students of art
criticism loitering here, who
would like to offer their
modernist interpretation.
The ad itself promises that
there are more episodes to
this tale. Might this include a
Tarantino-directed fight
between this shifty man and,
say, angry Finns?

No comments:

Post a Comment